Preferential Policy for International Students in Canada



Canada is a North American powerhouse, well-known for its advanced economy, civilized society and international quality education. Canada is the second largest country in the world and located in the North Pole of North America. Beside the majestic natural landscape, magnificent and grandiose architecture, Canada is noted for its multi-faceted culture, advanced education and extremely good social welfare. Now and in the future, this country will continue to be an attractive place for young people around the world to study and live.

CES Priority Visa Policy

With this policy, international students are approved quickly with high rates. From 2016, there are some changes in visa process for study abroad in Canada, especially the visa approval does not need to prove finances with CES policies (Canada Express Study). Accordingly, students need to apply to study at member school of Colleges and Institutes Canada (there are currently 45 non-financial proof schools); Students must pay tuition fee one year in advance.

In addition, you need to purchase a GIC certificate from Scotiabank bank worth CAD10,000 to cover the cost of living during the first year in Canada. Students need a minimum of IELTS 5.0 upward, with no skill under 4.5.

Co-op program – combination of learning and working

In Canada, students participate the Co-op program (combination of learning and working) will have study period that last one year more compare with regular program as students must complete 3-5 working semesters (each semester last 3-4 months). Therefore, students participating in the Co-op will graduate in the spring of the fifth year, if the courses are completed on time.

The Co-op program will help students earn money to offset the costs of education expenses. You will be paid a competitive salary according to the occupations, which is usually much higher than the extra-work.

Reference table for salary for each work hours under Co-op program in Canada:

Immigration policy in Canada

The Government of Canada also extends policies for international students stay to work and provide immigration opportunities for post-graduation. Specifically, students graduates from colleges, universities and postgraduation will be stayed for 1-3 years. After working full time for at least one year, student can begin applying for permanent residence in Canada.

By 2014, the Government of Canada doubles the number of immigrants compared to 2013, attracting the attention of global students. According to the Citizenship and Immigration Ministry of Canada, more than 271,000 foreigners are granted permanent residence in Canada in 2015.

In the first quarter of 2016, the number reached nearly 90,000. In which, 10 following  jobs are evaluated to have high staffing needs and settlement opportunity: Electronic Engineer; Information Security Analyst; Software Engineer; Physical Therapist; Home Health Aide; Marketing Manager; Medical Service Manager; Nurse.

Extra-work policy for international students

From June 1st , 2014, students in Canada are allowed to work outside of school without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

  • Work up to 20 hours per week during school period.
  • Work full-time on school vacations such as winter break, summer break, spring break

Conditions for extra work outside school:

  • Have a study permit
  • As a full-time student,
  • Be a student at one of the education institutions that designated at post-secondary or students of a secondary vocational education program in Quebec state.
  • Be a student of a vocational training, college or vocational training program with a minimum study period of 6 months.

Extra-work students in Canada can earn a salary of CAD 10-13 per hour depending on their job and place of employment, which is enough to cover the cost of living in some provinces in Canada.


    Hotline: 0354 665 720
    Sign up to receive e-mail